People that are appreciative are more stress-resistant and understand the art of appreciating life by living in the present.
Here are 6 simple steps to cultivating a grateful attitude.
- Maintain a Gratitude Journal – The most common method is to keep a gratitude journal, which has proven to be quite beneficial. All you have to do is keep a basic diary or list of things for which you are grateful. You don’t have to make a large list every day and feel obligated to do so; simply include one or more small things that made you smile and feel glad on a daily basis. This technique improves your capacity to detect things you normally overlook. You can get amazing journals at sites like eBay.
- Express your Affection and Admiration – Expression of feelings is strong and provides a sense of fulfillment and joy. Write notes or letters to individuals you care about, people who have made you happy in the past, or simply people who have been good to you and you appreciate their gesture. Nurture your connections and appreciate what you have by sharing your emotions. This makes the other person happy, and the reciprocation amplifies your happiness. The beneficial emotional expression also aids in the development of positive connections and bridges communication gaps.
- Avoid Negative Media and Replace it with Positive – What we see and hear affects our behavior and attitude. Watching and listening to unpleasant media pushes you closer to negativity, which begins to manifest in your behavior. Try viewing happy films, listening to calming music, and reading excellent literature; all of these activities will help you recognize and appreciate the good in the world, and will favorably affect your behavior. This assists people in giving and attracting happy vibes, which are essential for living and leading a healthy life.
- Observe the Beauty of Nature – A well-known and acknowledged reality of life is that if you fall in love and find the beauty in things, it will always be there for you and you will never have to look for it when you need it. Nature is a magnificent aspect of our life that will never leave us once we fall in love with it. The calming wind, the sound of the sea waves, the colors of the sunset gleaming through the clouds, the flower blossoming as if smiling at you, these things are timeless and always make you smile once you begin to appreciate their beauty. The sky is filled with stars, and you can never feel lonely when stargazing. By just existing, you may bring enjoyment into your life by seeing the beauty of nature.
- Participate in Random Acts of Kindness –Join a cause that is important to you or become active in social work. Enrolling in an NGO is a nice idea, but if nothing else, consider committing tiny acts of charity on a regular basis. Helping elderly people with whatever they require in a given scenario, feeding stray pets, donating old clothes, or just paying ten dollars more to the street vegetable vendor without trying to negotiate can all be considered acts of kindness. When you begin to appreciate what you have by comparing yourself to others who have less and not more than you, you will see the value of having a giving nature and will begin to help people with whatever you can. The humility you demonstrate when doing such things unconsciously makes you feel good about yourself, which subsequently helps you feel great about yourself.
- Avoid Criticising, Gossiping, and Complaining – What you feed your thoughts, what you think, what you talk about, and what you surround yourself with shape who you are. If you continue to criticize individuals and point out their shortcomings, you will become a depressed person who fails to see the positive aspects of others rather than the negative. This quickly manifests in our personality, and we generate a bad aura. Instead of talking about other people’s lives or criticizing them, consider admiring and noticing what they are good at. Nobody is flawless, and everyone has defects; our wisdom is in accepting them while assisting people to overcome them, rather than discussing their lives. You should also surround yourself with individuals who are cheerful.